Monday, July 15, 2013

Lessons I Wish I had Learned (and Listened to) Earlier in My Career

I think every time I practice, I come up with something that I wish I had known sooner in my playing career.  Sometimes it's as straight forward as wishing I had known a particular piece.  Others, it's a lesson I wish someone would have taught me sooner.  We learn from our mistakes, no matter the situation.  There are simply a few mistakes I wish I had made much earlier. 

1. Never go into a rehearsal without knowing a piece, no matter how obscure.
    Never, EVER do this.  I will never forget my way around Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto as a result of this particular lesson.  There are few times in my life where I have been this mortified.  I learned the hard way that this particular piano concerto has several large and well know second horn solos.  I had no idea, and mutilated the part.  Luckily I had time to rectify the situation before the first performance, never again have I ever gone to a rehearsal unprepared.

2.  Get along with people, even if you don't like them.
     You don't have to be everyone's best friend, but you never know who may be able to get you a job.

3.  Don't piss off the wrong people.
     Just as some people may get you a job, others can just as easily prevent you from getting one, just because you have proven to be difficult to work with.

4.  Always know the back story of a piece you are playing.
     Mozart will never be played the same way as Strauss.  I cringe to think of a Bach work performed in the style of Stravinsky.  Know the differences between your composers.  Each of them has a distinct style that gives them their identity.  This is particularly important if you are playing a piece that is actually intended to tell a story.  For example: Strauss' "Don Quixote" is broken into an introduction, theme, maggiore, 10 variations, and a finale.  Each section of the piece depicts a different part of Don Quixote's life/story with each character represented by a different motive.  If Variation VI (Meeting with Dulcinea) was performed the same way as Variation VII (The Ride Through the Air), Don Quixote's first meeting with his love, Dulcinea, would come across as drastically more violent than it is intended to be.

5.  There is always someone else out there who is practicing more, and is practicing more effectively, than you are.
      There really isn't a whole lot of explanation needed on this one.  If you aren't practicing, someone else is.  The only way to do something about it is to practice, and practice effectively, every chance you get.

6.  Don't settle for an instrument just because it's cheaper.  Save up and just buy the one you really want.
     Buying a cheaper instrument just to save a little money was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made.  I ended up selling it in less than 3 years because it was a terrible fit for me.  Be patient.  Save everything you can and keep your eyes open.  It will be worth all of the waiting when you're playing the instrument you really want.

7.  Take chances.
     You never know what kind of opportunities may come your way, simply because you took a chance on something.  Some of the most incredible performing experiences I've had came along simply because I allowed myself to take a chance on something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment